Saturday, August 21, 2010

rocky soil

Earlier this week my family moved into our new house. We are now settled in the new undisclosed neighborhood we call home in River Dog.

That first night was rough. I have gone through a sea of emotions that can only be attributed to culture shock and general change. But I get better each day.

I feel very lonely though. Yes, I have my wife, our kids, even her cousins like Mark & Trina. But I have no friend. Maybe someday.

The culture for Canada in general is quite different from the southern US. Back home, if a person as much as stared at me for more than a second that gave me open rights to say hi. Maybe start a conversation. Not here though. People are more stoic or something. Or maybe assholes. I'm still figuring it out.

Seven years ago when we moved into our first undisclosed location we had neighbors practically coming over to meet us, kids hanging around, and friendly smiles. Here, my wife and I have barely seen who lives on either side of us. The neighbors across the street are best friends with Mark & Trina. But we've hardly seen them too.

I'm not in the fair mo' city anymore, that's for sure.

1 comment:

  1. Mark and Trina, huh? Nice names. :) Keep yer chin up bro! Keep the updates coming...

    ReplyDelete