Wednesday, September 29, 2010

first contact

It's been hard to meet people and such. But not hard to meet kids. I think that goes in every culture.

Our oldest started school earlier this month. And conveniently two or three of his classmates live on our street. There are several other kids on the block, most of whom remind us of the kids we knew on our old street back in Texas. And like there, our house has once again become the 'kid' hang-out. Cool.

I wouldn't be surprised if this is how the creator has us get into various people's lives.

***************

Meanwhile, I am having an extremely difficult time re-entering into the atmosphere. I have been having painfully strong culture shock/loneliness/depression attacks. I've been doing well for several weeks.

But this latest bout started last Saturday on a trip to The Big City to see Arcade Fire, a popular rock outfit. I have been peculiarly enamored with their music for about nine months. And their newest recording is fully dedicated to the subject of suburbia, a topic I've critically reflected on for fifteen years. Most every song reminds me of some awkward or painful childhood memory I had in the Houston suburbs.

Moving to another country, moving to a very small isolated town, approaching age 40, and hearing songs that speak painfully to me has been a tough mix to drink.

Culture shock is much like depression. Except no drugs are necessary as it will end eventually. The question is when. Some say it takes a full year to get comfortable in new surroundings.

I don't think May could come any sooner.

I covet your prayers for release from this depression related ordeal. And for a friend or two. Thank you.


No comments:

Post a Comment