Monday, October 4, 2010

cultural differences observation #001

* Big thanks for all of those who have been praying for my adjustment. It has really helped. I had a very rough week last week. And the blahs finally broke about friday afternoon. These blahs still come and go. But things are looking up for now. I would appreciate continued communications to the creator on my behalf. And it doesn't hurt to hear from you either. Thanks!


Poverty generally has some universal traits. Trashiness is a good example. While many exceptions abound, most stuck within a poverty culture care little about cleanliness. This slaps the middle class in the face. I have many spiritually laced theories for both littering and anti-littering, both sides have positives and negatives.

My personal bent is if Jesus cared for others and we should do likewise, then maybe keeping ones property neat or not destroying someone elses environment would serve them. But enough of me.

In the fair 'mo city, Texas, 9 out of 10 of the poverty culture were trash throwers. But the religious culture would influence the poverty culture to do it when no one was looking. Or with malicious winks and cute smirks.

Here in River Dog, the first nations (native) people, who are by far the poverty culture of Canada, have no shame in throwing trash on the streets. It's blatant. I've seen it more than once.

It's like they hate the history of white culture and its oppression. So in any small way they can piss someone off they will.

I'm kind of indifferent. I do my best to observe and blend into this culture and not judge and so forth. But Canada has a pretty fair recycling gig going on. I probably collect $5 in trash a week just walking the kid to school and the dog in the evening. So it's win/win for me!

But I'm not use to this blatant-ness.

Last week I witnesses a native guy walking with his gal across our street carrying an open beer in his hand and drinking in broad day light. I mean, he wasn't even TRYING to hide anything. Like he has a death wish with the RCMP down my block or something.

Fair 'mo city: hide your ills. Keep the outside of that cup polished.

River Dog: Be honest.

I think I will like it here.

2 comments:

  1. Just dropping in to say "hi". It's been a crazy life around here lately, and I haven't commented much. I wanted you to know I'm following along still, and thinking and saying prayers for you and your family, in your adjusting to new life there. Mostly for friends for you and your wife. People that think like you...and maybe even some that don't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear from you Deana. And thanks!

    ReplyDelete