Wednesday, December 8, 2010

the landscape

I recently had a short dream where my cousin Mark and I were sitting at the Reach Out. There, someone had donated an airplane, one of those small, two-seater prop job types. "Oh good", said Mark. "Now we can fly over the Reach Out and get a good view of the entire region."

I really thought this was significant in a way only a dream can be to the individual who received it. I've been wanting to know exactly why the Creator brought us to this remote location to raise our family. And I've been wanting to know what was going on beyond what my eyes could see.

As mentioned before, in the native communities there is a huge blanket of distrust between them and white people. There is also much suicide and depression.

But within many white people throughout Canada, there is general unhappiness. I have met very few who truly enjoy or appreciate their job, career, and overall life. I know this is common throughout the US as well, but it seems more so in Canada.

Canadians enjoy higher wages and more benefits (health coverage, etc) than the average American. But there's no incentive within their jobs to work better. There's no joy in their life as evident to more smoking and drinking than I've ever seen. People are always looking for escape of some sort.

In Texas, I knew many who earned $7 - $10 an hour with no benefits yet were so full of life.

It seems like there is a huge void for Jesus around here.

2 comments:

  1. wow, the only thing that comes to mind is the passage in Joshua 1 where God says to Joshua 4 times "be strong, be bold". this command came with a promise that if he would do it God would give them the promised land.

    at the risk of being triumphalistic, God took you there for a reason and he wants you to be strong and be bold. He will enter and take the land he has taken you to if you are.

    i love you brother and i believe in you! keep up the good work... be strong! be bold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the words Miller. And I will definitely be meditating on that Joshua passage this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete