Wednesday, February 16, 2011

crashing

I confess, I have avoided writing any reports for a while. Primarily because I tire of using this blog as a whine-fest. I could write on the handful of folks I've met and the slow intertwined adventures that may begin. But I am low these days.

The basement reno project, my daily existence and lifeline, is oh so close to being complete. But our financial outlook is dismal. The choices that I clearly see are: 1) finish the basement and be flat broke or 2) start working (assuming there is work for me somewhere) and hope for better days ahead to finish the basement.

I think way too much. And hacking away at the basement gives me too much time alone to think.

I wonder if I've failed. If I missed something entirely in this whole assignment change. If I was supposed to move at all. These are nonsense thoughts I'm sure. But they plague me anyway.

On the bright side, my wife was given a job cleaning a local bank building 5 nights a week for about an hour each night. It pays around $20/hour. Viva la Canada to that. And I am being strongly considered for a position with a local lumber yard in running the yard as well as installation crew. It would be steady work. It's been a long time since I had 40+ hour a week employment. I don't know if that is what the creator is giving me or what. I talked to the owners of the lumber yard yesterday for a good 30 minutes. I gathered that they had no conscious in over-working and under-paying their employees. That left me feeling bleak.

Maybe the creator will open another door for me soon. I pray consistently on this subject. I hear only silence. The silence is making me nervous and feeling somewhat worthless.

I want to do independent house flipping again someday. Maybe this lumber yard gig is a path in that direction, etc

I plead again for your prayer coverage on this matter: the lord knows what I want and what I am good at. He's never put me somewhere that I wasn't meant to be. Maybe he is yet again preparing me for what I want...

4 comments:

  1. Something I thought about when I read about the lumber yard is this:

    For a loonnngggg time Randy worked for Kelly Moore Paint. While he was there he was able to meet a lot of people in the construction business. Over time he made connections with them and it helped when he began his own business. He was able to see their character and know if he wanted to work with them or not. Anyway, that might be a good place to start if that door opens for you.

    Also, just because it's hard, just because it's dry, just because you're weary doesn't mean you're in the wrong place at the wrong time.

    Hang in there friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Brandi.

    Yeah, my wife and I figured working in a lumber yard would be a great place to get to know everybody in this line of work. But I got such a weird feeling about that place after talking to the owners. Some things I didn't write about the first time around like: how they brought me into their confidence by slamming the current employee they hope I replace (I guy I know and like a lot). I don't care to get involved in that, nor work for people like this. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear ya. If that's the way it is just talking to them then...

    ReplyDelete