Tuesday, July 20, 2010

phone home

After being in the new country for eight weeks I finally called an old friend, mentor, catfish nugget fry-cook and Red Fox stunt double.

Ben Kenobi moved away from the city of our last assignment the exact same month we did. He is now 93 and has been living in a care home in Waco, TX with two nieces nearby.

We bitched and laughed about adjusting to our new lives and surroundings. Me: how Canada won't let me legalize my truck and the ridiculous expenses here. Him: how the care-home workers won't let him get out of bed by himself or dress himself. He claims that he's losing strength every day by not doing basic necessities for himself anymore.

I'm thinking Ben Kenobi has the rougher deal than me.

God, bless him and keep him sane.

No comments:

Post a Comment