Tuesday, October 12, 2010

new friend #4

Again, thanks for the prayers on my loneliness and progress in this new assignment. Slowly but surely, I am meeting a few folks. So, thanks very much!

My new request is: I need work. Now. I need to get out of the house or something. It could be a long while before I get into a house flip project again.

But Saturday night my across the street neighbor Giovanni Tuscannini invited me out to get a beer. Or three. We walked to some local joint down Main Street, a few blocks from our houses.

We actually knew of Gio and his wife Cher before we moved to our new house two months ago. Cher and my wife's cousin Trina are close friends. Cher gave us all the inside scoop on this house. We thought it'd give us ammo to win a low bid. It worked a little.

I hear through the grapevine that Gio's father committed suicide a couple of years back. After that, he shut most people out of his life. So according to Trina, our outing the other night must have been his first moments out of his shell. I'm honored to be reached out by him.

Gio grew up in the Big City with his Italian immigrant dad. Cher grew up on a native reserve in northern Saskatchewan and actually experienced the horrors of residential schools. I'm told they both don't care for the creator. Or at least, if he's referred to as "god". Trina's husband Mark conducted their wedding ceremony a while back where he was instructed not to use the word "god".

This is a very different environment from what I'm use to, on so many levels.

Gio was the most down-to-earth intellectual type of guy. I really appreciated his invitation out.

I needed that. Bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment